Your Gift Will...

Your gift will: -

  • Enable bright children to receive an exceptional education that their financial circumstances could otherwise prevent them from experiencing
  • Support the remarkable range of extra-curricular activities that together create the ‘Outstanding Blundell’s Experience’
  • Build, maintain and restore the facilities that keep Blundell’s at the forefront of the British Independent Schools in the South West

All gifts to Blundell’s Development Office go directly to making Blundell’s School an even better place to live and learn.

How to donate

Funding can be provided in many ways, through an annual gift, a specified one off donation to be invested and provide provision in perpetuity, sales of stocks and shares, legacies and many gifts also attract substantial tax saving benefits.

Don’t think that a small amount does not make a difference. If you are able to afford just £2, £5, £20 or more a month, it really will enable a boy or girl to receive the most worthy gift for their whole life – a Blundell’s education to give them the chance of a lifetime.

Small and large gifts are welcome, whatever you feel is a comfortable giving level for you, and all donations are most gratefully received and extremely welcomed. The opportunity to give is very flexible with either a single donation or a monthly contribution made over full or part of a year through a monthly standing order. If you are a UK tax payer all donations can be made tax efficiently and attract Gift Aid which increases the overall value of any gift you maybe by 28%, and if you are a higher rate tax payer, the cost is further reduced.

Donations can be made towards any project and one that is of most interest to you. A full list of projects is available and current projects are listed on the Projects link. You can if you wish, opt for the Development Office to allocate your donation, according to where the need is greatest, however you decide you can be assured that your wishes will be complied with.

Worked Example
Donors Amount Frequency Duration Donations Benefit to a Project
10 £10 Monthly 5 years £6,000 £7,700
20 £20 Monthly 5 years £24,000 £30,700
30 £30 Monthly 5 years £54,000 £69,120

The Development Office is most grateful for all donations received in support of Blundell’s School.

Committed and regular support is the life blood of any fundraising charity and we will work with you to make this as easy as possible, we will contact you at regular intervals to ensure you are still happy with the arrangements. Should you require an annual statement of your contributions to assist you in completing your Inland Revenue self-assessment, we can provide this for you.

Please download and complete a Donation Form for every gift. You need only sign one Gift Aid Form. Please return forms at all times to: The Development Office, Blundell’s School, Blundell’s Road, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 4DT.

You can make your donation in a number of ways:

  • A One Off Gift By Cheque – Please send your cheque with the completed Donation and Gift Aid form and make your cheque payable to ‘Blundell’s Foundation.’
  • Regular Gifts by Direct Debit – Please download and complete the attached Direct Debit Form in addition to completing a Donation and Gift Aid Form. For UK bank accounts, a Standing order arrangement is also possible.
  • Electronic Funds Transfer – Please transfer your gift directly to the Blundell’s Foundation Bank Account – these details are on the Donation and Gift Aid form. Please also send us a completed Donation and Gift Aid Form by post or scan a completed form and send it to us electronically. If you send a donation electronically please do let the Development Office know so we can ensure the donation is logged appropriately.

Donation Forms

If you would like to make a donation to the Foundation please download the appropriate form and send to The Development Office, Blundell's School, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 4DT.

Tax Efficient Giving – Giving to Charity – The Basics

If you want to donate to a charity and you are a UK taxpayer there are a range of tax incentives and schemes available to help you get the most from your donation.

  • Giving through Gift Aid
    Your Gift Aid donation is treated as if basic Income Tax has already been paid by the donor. Charities take your donation (which is money on which tax has been paid) and reclaim basic rate tax from HMRC on its ‘gross’ equivalent (the amount before basic rate tax was deducted). Basic rate tax is 20% so every £10 you give using Gift Aid is worth £12.50 to the charity.
  • Gift Aid Declarations
    In order to make a Gift Aid donation you need to make a Gift Aid declaration. This can cover a number of gifts to the same charity for whatever period you choose and cover gifts already made/to be made.
  • Gifts made jointly by people living together
    If gifts are made jointly using Gift Aid, both parties need to complete a Gift Aid declaration and state how much of the donation each party is giving.
  • Making sure you have paid enough tax to use Gift Aid
    To make a Gift Aid donation you must pay at least as much Income Tax (and/or Capital Gains Tax) as the amount of tax reclaimed by all charities to which you donate during a tax year. To calculate this, divide the total value of all donations by four. A basic rate tax payer will need to have paid tax of at least this figure.
  • Claiming back higher rate tax
    If you pay higher rate tax you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate on the total ‘gross’ value of your donations. Eg: If you donate £100, the value of the donation is £125 and you can claim back £25 (£125 @ 20%) if you pay tax at 40%.
  • Keeping records of your gits to charity
    If you are a higher rate taxpayer and want to claim tax relief for donations you need to keep records of these by date, value and recipient charity. If you normally complete a tax return, complete the section on Gift Aid Payments. If you do not complete a return, you can provide the details on form P810 Tax Review.

Gift Aid is an invaluable source of extra income. If you qualify, please fill in the Gift Aid declaration on the form as it enable us to reclaim 25p from HM Revenue and Customs for every £1 donated. This means that for every £100 you donate we get an extra £25.

Higher rate tax payers donating through Gift Aid can claim back the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on the total value of their donation to Blundell’s via their Self-Assessment Form.

Higher Rate Tax

Donors who are liable to pay the higher rate of income tax can claim the difference (18% in 2009/2010) between the higher rate of 40% and the basic rate of 22% on the grossed up donation in their annual tax return. Thus a donation of £100 is worth £138.21 to Blundell’s Foundation, and in addition the higher rate taxpayer can claim relief of £23.08 for themselves, which means that the gift only costs the donor £76.92.

Tax Efficient Giving: Making the Most of Your Gift
You Give
(Per Month)
You Give
(Per Year)
4 Year Total You Receive Rebate
(40% Tax-Payer)
Blundell’s Reclaims 4 Year Cost
(40% Tax-Payer)
4 Year Value to Blundell’s
£10 £120 £480 £120 £120 £360 £600
£25 £300 £1,200 £300 £300 £900 £1,500
£50 £600 £2,400 £600 £600 £1,800 £3,000
£70 £840 £3,360 £840 £840 £2,520 £4,200
£90 £1,080 £4,320 £1,080 £1,080 £3,240 £5,400
£100 £1,200 £4,800 £1,200 £1,200 £3,600 £6,000
£150 £1,800 £7,200 £1,800 £1,800 £5,400 £9,000
£200 £2,400 £9,600 £2,400 £2,400 £7,200 £12,000
£250 £3,000 £12,000 £3,000 £3,000 £9,000 £15,000
£300 £3,600 £14,400 £3,600 £3,600 £10,800 £18,000
£400 £4,800 £19,200 £4,800 £4,800 £14,400 £24,000
£500 £6,000 £24,000 £6,000 £6,000 £18,000 £30,000
£600 £7,200 £28,800 £7,200 £7,200 £21,600 £36,000
£700 £8,400 £33,600 £8,400 £8,400 £25,200 £42,000
£800 £9,600 £38,400 £9,600 £9,600 £28,800 £48,000
£900 £10,800 £43,200 £10,800 £10,800 £32,400 £54,000
£1,000 £12,000 £48,000 £12,000 £12,000 £36,000 £60,000
Example of figures for 40% higher rate of tax
Net Cost to Donor Made up of a Donation of And a Higher Rate Tax Relief of The School Claims Tax Relief of The School Receives a Total of
£100 £130 £30 £37 £167
£250 £325 £75 £92 £417
£500 £650 £150 £183 £833
£1,000 £1,300 £300 £367 £1,667
£5,000 £6,500 £1,500 £1,834 £8,334
£10,000 £13,000 £3,000 £3,668 £16, 668
£50,000 £65,000 £15,000 £18,335 £83,335
£100,000 £130,000 £30,000 £36,650 £166,670

However, if you wish to maximise your gift to Blundell’s you can nominate the Blundell’s Foundation to receive any tax repayment you may be entitled to when you submit your annual return to HM Revenue and Customs using the following unique reference code:
Blundell’s School Foundation.

You can also request that any repayment is made as a Gift Aid donation. All this would increase for example a donation of £3,000 to £4,800, proof indeed that it all makes a difference.

Giving of Shares/Land

The most tax-efficient method of Supporting

The budget in March 2000 saw a revolution in how individuals and companies can donate to charities, which, for the first time, saw real benefits accruing to the donor as well as the beneficiary of the gift. Giving shares to Blundell’s can be a very tax efficient way of making a donation. By donating shares you do not mornally have to pay any capital gains tax that you would incur if you sell the shares at a higher price than when you first bought or inherited them. Currently this would be at a level of 18% for standard rate tax payers or 28% for higher rate tax payers.

Income tax relief is also available on gifts of shares securities, unit trust and various other investments such as property and land if you are a UK resident. The ‘net benefit to charity’ figure is treated as a deduction from income and tax relief is given in full.

An explanation of the tax advantages and the method of donating gifts of shares to Blundell’s School Foundation follows:

The amount the donor can deduct is

  • The market value of the shares or securities at the date of disposal; plus
  • Any incidental costs of disposing of the shares

Donors can therefore claim relief at their top rate of tax on the Self Assessment or Corporation Tax return.

Worked Example
  Donor Blundell’s School
£50,000 to the charity by cash
Cash Gift £39,000 £39,000
Basic Rate Reclaim (22%)   £11,000
Higher Rate Reclaim (18%) (£9,000)  
Cost/Benefit £30,000 £50,000
£50,000 to the charity by quoted shares
Gift of Shares £50,000 £50,000
Income Tax Relief (40%) (£20,000)  
CGT avoided (40% of gain) (£16,000)  
Cost/Benefit £14,000 £50,000

The above worked example presumes a taxable income of £100,000+, that the shares were originally purchased for £10,000 and that the donor’s annual CGT relief has been utilised elsewhere.

What are qualifying shares and securities?

  • Those listed or dealt in on a recognised stock exchange, whether in the UK or elsewhere, including shares traded on the Alternative Investment Market;
  • Units in an authorised unit trust;
  • Shares in a UK open-ended investment company; and
  • Holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes (offshore funds).

Supporters of the Foundation considering making a donation of one of these qualifying investments should consult their accountant or financial advisor.

How to donate a qualifying investment to the Foundation

If you decide to donate shares to the Blundell’s School Foundation, the procedure is as follows:

  • We will send you a Stock Transfer Form for you to complete and return to us at the Foundation office. Also please send us the Share Certificate.
  • We will then send this Form and Share Certificate with covering letter to the Registrar, which when actioned they will be asked to return to us.
  • We will then send the completed form and certificate to our stockbroker, who will complete the sale of the shares and credit us with the funds.
  • We will then inform you of the value we have received.

Most of the work will be done by the Development Office, but there are certain actions that only you can take.

  • Where the stock is held in certificate form – procedure as above
  • Where the stock is dematerialised (i.e. held in CREST, CGO or as an uncertified holding in a Unit Trust ) you should contact the Development Office and give details of the stock to be transferred, including the identity and CREST/CGO account number of the relevant custodian and the full name in which the stock is registered (with designation where applicable).
  • In the case of a Unit Trust you should provide the account number of the holding.

For stock held in CREST or CGO you should authorise your custodian to accept instructions from your stock broker. To transfer the stock to their control.

For an uncertified Unit Trust you should ask the Unit Trust Manager to prepare a stock transfer form for you to complete and return to the Development Office.

What we do with them

Depending on the nature and value of the shares donated Blundell’s may sell and reinvest them or keep them. Blundell’s has a small portfolio of investments that have been built up from donors over the past few years and it is intended to try and build a sufficient endowment to support Bursaries and Capital Projects at Blundell’s.

If you are in any doubt about the actions you need to take, please consult Amber Oliver at the Blundell’s School Development Office.

Payroll Giving

Payroll Giving is an easy way to give money to charity.

It is a flexible scheme that enables employees to make charitable donations to Blundell’s School Foundation straight from their gross salary, meaning donors receive immediate tax relief on the value of their donation.

Therefore, for a basic rate taxpayer wanting to give a £10 donation it will only cost £7.80 – or just £6 for higher rate taxpayers.

For example:

Pledge Value to School Cost to Donor
Paying 22% tax
Cost to Donor
Paying 40% tax
£10 £11 £7.80 £6

Many employers are further encouraging the scheme by matching their employee’s donations.

How does Payroll Giving work?

Very easily – payments are deducted straight from your salary either as a regular monthly payment or as a one-off gift. All you need to do is choose how much you would like to give and advise your payroll department. The money goes via Payroll Giving Agency (which charges a small administrative fee) to the designated charity or charities.

If your salary is paid through PAYE, your company is almost certainly eligible to offer Payroll Giving (you may be more familiar with the scheme as a specific brand name, such as Give as you Earn).

What to do now? Contact your payroll department for a Payroll Giving Form.